Friday, January 20, 2012

Lefty Problems

Being new to the world of nail polish blogs, I've been trying to figure out the best pose for my hands in my swatch pictures. In many nail polish blogs there seems to be a signature pose and every picture is consistent with that pose or array of specific poses, lighting, etc. As you can probably tell, I don't have a signature pose. My method is to take a lot of pictures, then sort through and pick the best ones. (Again: I'm a n00b, so don't mind me.)

I've decided that most of my consistency issues come down to one factor: I'm a lefty. I'd like to think that being a lefty my entire life, I've adjusted well to a right-handed world. I throw, spike and serve in volleyball, and use scissors with my right hand, but I write, golf and bat lefty. It's some weird combination of being ambidexterous that I've compiled.

So with nail blogging, taking pictures is difficult for me. My left hand is obviously the better hand for painting my nails, so my right hand always has the better manicure. However, given that the majority of cameras have their buttons on the right side, taking pictures of my right hand is awkward and I end up featuring my left hand like a lot of bloggers. It's just easier for me physically to take pictures of my left hand. But then I get sad when my right hand obviously looks better and I end up struggling with my camera when I'm trying to get those pictures.

All in all, I'm still figuring out the best way to capture beautiful polishes and balancing being a lefty with the camera situation. I'd love to be more consistent with my poses, but switching hands makes it difficult. Maybe I just need to purchase a left handed camera, which also might feel strange since I've never used one before. Ah, the trials and tribulations of nail blogging as a lefty or just #leftyproblems.

Are there any other lefty nail bloggers out there? How do you take your pictures? Do you own a left handed camera or do you use the traditional right handed camera? I'd love to know your thoughts, comments and advice!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that they make cameras for leftys.I have the same issue as you.It truly is awkward when the button is on the right.I've struggled with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment (the first on my blog)! Yeah, I'm not sure if they make them, but someone should, haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem.

    ReplyDelete